- Lin Chen (PhD summer 2014). PhD Thesis: "Towards Modeling Collaborative Task Oriented Multimodal Human-human Dialogues"
- Joel Booth (PhD fall 2011, currently at Sprout Social, Chicago). Ph.D. Thesis: "Modeling and Querying Multimodal Urban Transportation Networks"
Swati Tata (PhD spring 2010, currently at Versay Inc, Chicago). PhD Thesis: "SongRecommend: Music Recommendation System with Fine-Grained Song Reviews"
- Cindy Kersey (PhD fall 2009, currently Assistant Professor at Lewis University). PhD Thesis: "Knowledge Co-construction and Initiative in Peer Learning Interactions"
(PhD summer 2009, currently Assistant Teaching Professor at Carnegie Mellon University, Qatar). PhD Thesis: "Automatic Modeling of Procedural Knowledge and Feedback Generation in a Computer Science Tutoring System"
Rajen Subba (PhD summer 2008, previously at Yahoo! Research Labs, currently at Microsoft San Francisco). PhD Thesis: "Discourse Parsing: A Relational Learning Approach"
(PhD summer 2007, currently at Nuance, Inc, Montreal, Canada). PhD Thesis: "Expert tutoring and natural language feedback in intelligent tutoring systems"
Zhuli (Jack) Xie
(PhD December 2006, currently Data Analyst at Yahoo, NYC, NY; previously at MySpace, and at Motorola Research, Schaumburg, IL). PhD Thesis: "From Extracting to Abstracting: Generating Quasi-abstractive Summaries"
- Abhinaya Balasubramanian (MS Spring 2014, currently at Yahoo! Inc)
- Mohammadreza Miryani (MS Spring 2014)
- Balachandar Venkataramani (MS Spring 2014)
- Camillo Lugaresi (MS Summer 2013, currently at Google, CA). MS Thesis: "Translating Italian Connectives into Italian Sign Language"
- Nikhil Sunderraj (MS Spring 2013, currently at FactSet Research Systems, NYC, NY)
- Hareen Venigalla (MS Spring 2013)
- Vivek Hariharan (MS Spring 2013, currently at TubeMogul, Emeryville, CA)
- Jayashree Khobarekar (MS Spring 2013)
- Anruo Wang (Summer 2012)
- Alberto Tretti (MS Spring 2010, co-founder of Glancee, later acquired by Facebook; currently at Facebook). MS Thesis: "Analysis and presentation of results for mobile local search"
Jisha Abubaker (MS fall 2008). MS Thesis: "Semantic Role Labeling: Generalizing To Unseen Verbs Using VerbNet"
SuNam Kim (moved to Univ. of Melbourne summer 05) worked on inductive logic programming for discourse relations
Dan Yu (MS Summer 04, currently at Albert A. Webb Associates, Riverside, CA) worked on DIAG-NLP
Yijue Hou (MS summer 03) worked on DIAG-NLP
Riccardo Serafin (MS Summer 03, currently at Scientific Institute H. San Raffaele, Milano, Italy) worked on extending LSA to recognize dialogue acts
Vijaysenthil Veeriah (MS summer 03)
Tejaswini Pendyala (MS summer 02) worked on applying LSA to one of our tutoring corpora
Elena Terenzi (MS summer 02) worked on coupling LCFLEX with VerbNet
Mike Trolio (MS Dec. 00) worked on generating instructional dialogue
- Kai-Hua Xiang (MS Dec. 00) worked on Machine Learning for generating cue phrases